This delicious volcano sushi roll might be a bit tricky to prepare but you’ll have fun eating it, even you don’t get it right the first time!
- 4 sheets of toasted nori seaweed
- 12 oz of sushi rice (cooked and mixed with sharizu)
- 1 oz diakon sprouts
- 2 oz sliced salmon for outside of the roll
- 6 Tbsp smoked jalapeño aioli
- ½ oz wasabi powder or prepared wasabi in a tube
- 2 oz pickled ginger
Volcano Roll Mix
- 4 oz chunks of surimi (imitation crab made of pollock and whiting fish. Comes chopped or in sticks)
- 4 oz surimi – stick form
- 4 Tbsp Kewpie Mayonnaise (Japanese Mayo)
- 2 tsp Huy Fong Sriracha Chili Sauce
- 1 tsp Yuzu *
* Yuzu is a Japanese citrus fruit and is quite sour in taste. The rind is used to flavour various Japanese dishes. It is rare and difficult to find in North American. Bottled Yuzu Juice is much easier to find and can be used in this recipe.
Smoked Jalapeño Aioli
- 12 qrt canola oil
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 ½ Tbsp chili canned chipotle
Preparing the Volcano Roll Mix
- Chop the Surimi roughly and squeeze with a paper towel to get rid of any extra water.
- Place in a bowl, add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
Smoked Jalapeño Aioli
- Combine the lime juice, egg yolk, and chili chipotle in a bowl
- Whisk slightly
- Add oil, in a slow stream, whisking constantly to emulsify
- Add honey slowly and season with salt
- Assembling the Sushi Roll (makes 1 of the 4 rolls)
Rolling Your Volcano Roll
- Place one sheet of nori (seaweed) on the sushi mat. Make sure the shiny side is facing down
- Place a small amount of the sushi rice on the nori and spread thinly
- Arrange the salmon slices horizontally over the rice
- Flip over and place a small portion of the chopped crab and daikon sprouts at the opposite end
- Roll up and lightly wet the margin before the final turn to seal it
- Fold the mat over and roll the sushi lightly between the layers of the mat
- Sprinkle sesame seeds over roll
- Cut the roll into 6 pieces
- Add 1 Tbsp of the smoked Jalapeño Aioli evenly to each piecePlace roll in a toaster oven for 4 minutes at 350 degrees to slightly heat
Repeat steps to complete all rolls.